meta blogging

Hi, my name is Paul, some folks know me as kid oakland.

I'm the guy who came up with this blog. It's a modest blog, trust me, but that doesn't mean I won't work hard at it. It is however, like almost everything you read on the internet, just a fucking blog.

That being said, you are welcome here. Your comments are welcome here. Your readership is welcome here, and deeply appreciated.

Personally, I feel like half of any really good blog is the links, the mix. That's the core of it. That's the hard part...because the art of spinning good links is like being a dj. (I used to be one.) It's about the mix. It's about the sequence. It's about the segues. It's about making a groove.

We can share links, trade them, enjoy them. But the point is....my "current clicks" are my "current clicks"...my "sugar smacks" are my "sugar smacks." It's that simple. They're like a signature. A mix tape. A mashup. I hope you like them. I hope you come back here to check them out as they evolve. I hope you'll send me a link if you think I'll like it. Email = kidoaklandatcomastdotnet.

Now, in my view, the other part of a really good blog is community. Community is the whole thing...all the readers...all the "listeners"...the whole enchilada. Some of you out there...especially you quiet lurkers on the rss...I'm never going to know. Never. Ever. And that's cool. I know you're out there. I'm thinking about you. This blog is for you too. I hope you like it.

Some of you will make comments or link here. I welcome that. I want it. Please do. But only if you feel moved to. It's that simple. No obligations. But if you do, please know that I'm all ears...because that is a critical part of community too...that folks feel like they can add something to the mix, or link to it. I appreciate that, and always have.

Finally, if you are into this kind of thing, please, please, please do it yourself, ie. make your own blog your way, with your own mix...and then link here or email me...I'll automatically link back through "the network," which I check and follow, and hopefully people will check you out there. If that doesn't work, I'll make it a blogroll, but from what I've seen at other sites, this set up really can work, and is a more vibrant and flexible means of linking than the static, monumental blogroll.

Bottom line, I'd like to be a part of a community of blogs that are into good writing, essays and cool links...ie. blogs that I'd want to read...blogs that offer a distinct point of view and voices that maybe aren't really reflected in what's out there right now:

politics + culture. urbanism. linkism. new community. music meets politics. oppositional culture. blogs at the crossroads of distinct and different voices. a constellation of blogs that add up to more than the sum of their parts.

So, enough of the meta blogging.....let's kick out the jams already. And, as always, thanks for reading, it's the highest compliment.

Comments

Ang said…
especially you quiet lurkers on the rss

That would be me.
kid oakland said…
cool. welcome.

that was funny.
NYBri said…
k/o is a daily read for me and a link to this site is number one on the "required reading" blogroll on my humble page.

In blogging, it's all about the neighborhood and on the web, you can choose your neighbors.

Can I borrow your pressure washer, neighbor?

Popular posts from this blog

a serious moment

James Watson: racism alive and well in the USA

Sharks, Carp and Dolphins: applying a model from business to politics