meta matters

Ok, I'm going to write about this blog a little bit. Forgive me.

This new blog has a small / healthy / robust / devoted group of readers who come back and read on a regular basis. I am grateful for every last one one of you...and I understand that you read and participate, or not, at your own pleasure...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

One salient result of the size and intimacy of this blog is that I don't feel like bullshitting, and I don't intend to.

Starting k/o has been eye-opening.

I launched not with any deliberate timing but because, literally, wendell gee, myshkin and awol (friends you may know from dKos) accosted me after a dinner party at awol's house and insisted that I start a blog now. That was four weeks ago. What you've seen here is the result of that prodding, and I owe a debt of gratitude to them for their continued help and support. (Now if I could only get them to comment here more often...)

At any rate, up to that point, though I was a "blog reader" and a participant at dailykos...I didn't know squat about how "blogging" really works outside of dKos. It shows.

I'm catching some heavy drift.

For one, while having what I consider a shockingly successful...and truly rewarding...launch these last weeks...I've definitely got a sense that I'm making a fresh start, and that I should make a fresh start with all that phrase entails.

I'm going to flub up, make mistakes, try shit out and experiment. But you knew that already. I know I need to learn how to make friends and win respect and readers....and that's a good thing. I don't take anything for granted.

I intend to keep a sense of humor and openess about things...so please always feel free to tell me what you think. I'm all ears.

My main goal is to give you good content that lives up to your readership with a minimum of hype, bs and ulterior motives. That may seem an 'obvious' statement. But I mean it. I want to do with k/o, what I tried to do writing as "kid oakland" elsewhere...which is simply to stay true to myself and to my politics.

The best answer I can give to someone who wonders what that 'politics' is...is simply to say, look at what I've done and written and look at what I'm doing now. That's my politics. I hope k/o helps make this clear.

This blog is not the end of the matter for me. I'm interested in participating in community blogs, and will continue to do so. Heck, I'd like to see more community blogs form. There's plenty of "space" that is underserved right now. We'll just have to see.

(Please, point me to anything....news, blogs, sites, essays, music you think I might find interesting: kidoaklandatcomcastdotnet......or drop a comment!)

For now, clearly, I'm here, and, at times, overwhelmed.

You see, on a practical note...I work...in photography...and often work long days to make a living in this cruel world of ours. (I'm kidding, I love what I do.) Due to this "working" thing, I just won't have content that rocks anyone's world every single day. I'll try my best, and trust that you know how to find good stuff here and elsewhere....as I'm sure you do.

peace to you,
paul / kid o.

ps. on a side note, I had to change the blog network thing. It wasn't turning over, and it was getting spammed. We'll see how 24h cycle works.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You're doing great. I spend less time on political & cultural blogs than I do on bicycling and woodworking forums these days, but yours is great both for your unique and thoughtful voice and the quality of the comments. Personally, I am amazed that you can write as much as you do, what with a career, and so it seems, a variety of other interests.
RHerman said…
ah, so you're a photographer k/o. do you have a site to showcase your craft? if you don't already know him, you might click with photo blogger Ed Buziak http://blogs.salon.com/0004217/
exploring all the fine arts. treat us to some of your photography here from time to time.
kid oakland said…
hey, thanks all...

yep, I'm a photographer. you can see my work at pauldelehanty.com...and if you follow the clickthrough....at photoserve.

rrg. ratprick, not the way I would put it re: the dividing line. but I hear you about racism and generosity...and...

i hear you about zappa.

watch out where the huskies go....
NYBri said…
Just keep on keepin' on here. What you're up to, works for me. I read every day and when I come here, I'm not so frantic as I am when I hit the BREAKING diaries elsewhere.

Feedback: this is where I have come to pull of the highway of the blogosphere and have a relaxing meal of well chosen words and equally well chosen ideas. If that's where you were aiming, you've hit the mark.

If not, you've got some work to do. heh.
NYBri said…
PS. Ratprick, that's quite the handle. It takes a bold person to carry a face-slap moniker such as that.
kid oakland said…
wg.....good to see you!

And nice post on Cartel.

Don't despair, there's plenty of fight left on our side...it's always darkest before the dawn...

we just don't know how dark it's gonna get.
Anonymous said…
thanks for that link.

subtle behind the scenes bullshit.

-pyrrho
Anonymous said…
oops, my comment ended up in the wrong thread somehow.

I was talking about the link in some other comments to the reduction of the federal estimate of the value of recreation from $110 billion to $11 billion.

-pyrrho
kid oakland said…
No worries pyrrho

you had me there for a minute though.
Dean said…
Hey k/o,

I think your off to a good start. Didn't know you were a photographer. I started up an art blog a few days ago.. you may find it interesting.

www.theartcrit.blogspot.com

deano
Anonymous said…
k/o,

beautiful photographs. You use all kinds of media for your storytelling, huh?

I come here to relax. Your writing is a like a place to fall into and think. Your honest style makes this a good place to be.

Thanks and Peace to you too.
-gina
kid oakland said…
Thanks everyone for the links and comments....mucho appreciated....truly.

I hear you ratprick....and, yep, I'll be writing and exploring all that and more....

Man, this blogging's hard work!
NYBri said…
"hard work"..and it's not going to get any easier as the site and traffic grows, k/o.

Where's the trade off? Keeping it personal and small -- or a heavy traffic, "too much to keep track of for one person" kind of site.

kos has an army of tenders, but that's the road he went down.
awol said…
Once in Chelm, the mythical village of the East European Jews, a man was appointed to sit at the village gate and wait for the coming of the Messiah. He complained to the village elders that his pay was too low. “You are right,” they said to him, “the pay is low. But consider: the work is steady.”

-- Irving Howe, epigraph to Steady Work: Essays in the Politics of Democratic Radicalism, 1953-1966

Popular posts from this blog

a serious moment

James Watson: racism alive and well in the USA

Sharks, Carp and Dolphins: applying a model from business to politics