open thread

This open thread brought to you by....the Sacred Heart of Plastic Baby Meta Jesus.

Comments

&y said…
Kid, ever since you put that diary up, I've had demented, "k/o extended remix" versions of the Plastic Jesus song swirling around in my head. Cramming in the few extra syllables sorta works (oddly enough), but is still making my brain hurt--I have to get the song unstuck.

So I'm going to trust in the old folk wisdom that the way to get a song out of your head is to get it stuck in someone else's head. Here's hoping one of your readers knows the song and is ...suggestible...

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I've got my Plastic (Baby Meta) Jesus
Ridin' on the dashboard of my car.
Through my trials and tribulations
And my travels through the nation
With my Plastic (Baby Meta) Jesus I'll go far

Plastic (Baby Meta) Jesus!
Plastic (Baby Meta) Jesus!
Ridin' on the dashboard of my car
etc...
Nordy said…
Good stuff
kid oakland said…
Thanks...

I don't think I would have written that piece anywhere else...lol.

But..yeah..sadly, I think that'll be my last thing there for awhile....time to let it go.

There's much good work done there. But so much bad blood...aieeeeee!!!

Must learn to write well...here.

To be honest, if feels like I'm in a lonely room sometimes here. I wish folks would just flood this place with comments.

What should I do?...do I need a gimmick with a human touch?

Say....photographs of cats? Or pictures of my lunch?....hmmmm.
Anonymous said…
don't feel too lonely just b/c of the comments. more often than not i'm silently nodding my head in assent, and thinking about what you wrote offline as well. loud abrasive controversy generates lots of posts, but not often much introspection. your stuff is the opposite, written well enough that i feel a bit dumb posting "yeah, good point" hollow responses. sugar smacks draw the hits, even when they risk giving us all meta-diabetes.
&y said…
Thanks for the link to that song, wg. I'd heard a bit of it on AAR--thought it was an in-house job. I have a fondness for "found" music. (Recommended: "My Favorite Things" by Negativland.)

And the Jesus song that shall now remain unnamed has left my head. Whew.

Since starting grad school, I've completely lost touch with new music. Now that things are winding down, I'm realizing how sad it is that only about 5% of the albums I own were released within the last five years. And a good chunk of them were released before I was born.

Kid Oakland's pointed me in some good directions, and I'll try out that "Off the Radar" show.

In other words, you all aren't posting links into a vacuum. There's at least one person out here who needs them.
kid oakland said…
Thanks for that....and I hear you about blogger comments. (It's my nature to allow/encourage comments...but I don't "expect" them...it's just hard to get used to zero comments post scoop/kos.)

My main problem with blogger, other than the aestheitcs and fuctionality of it...ie. lack of threading...is that it's not really possible to easily link to comments or individual pieces here.

I feel pretty strongly that your words are your words...and that you should have access to them, and be able to find your way back to them.

Funny thing about scoop....having written for free for two years on what I now learn was "Kos Media LLC"...I am loathe to aggregate people under my brand, or name. I will participate in a group blog someday. But only one that is not in the shadow of something else, or some other entity.

(I've been on the board of non-profits off line. Maybe that is possible on-line someday, or some version of that.)

As for traffic. It is good but has declined since Katrina...and, to be honest, I want this site to serve as a link to other interesting sites as well...specifically, ones that have been ignored by the "scoop centric" folks.

That's hard to do with the traffic levels I'm getting now. If I could get more readership...(perhaps even a link from sites I've written on)...I honestly think that not only would folks find the writing here worthwhile...but they would be able to get to so many other, interesting, relevant places.

As it stands, I continue to be thankful for y'all, every last one.

You are the best readers in the blogosphere. Period. I can see that, and read it...and I do look at the stats, and it shows. Readers here follow links from here and impact other deserving sites...that is so cool.

Thanks for reading! I won't let you down.
&y said…
Escape from Noise: Spookily relevant genius indeedy... with a CAR BOMB bumper sticker I was always too chicken to put anywhere. And, call me a gutless old man, but I wouldn't think of putting it on a car these days. "It's ridiculous. It's not even funny."

Re: Kid Oakland's comment about Blogger

it's not really possible to easily link to comments or individual pieces here

The only way I've found to "link" to comments is by typing "Re:..." as I just did.

And as far as linking to individual pieces goes, it's possible but I must say that finding the individual pieces can be a nightmare. It's the Blogger archive--it makes me crazy. I've hacked my template to make the sasetc archive just slightly less of a hassle, but it's still both ridiculous and not even funny.

Not having a way to do Teaser + Extended Copy is also a nuisance if you're a wordy babbler like I am.

And, since we can't create pages that aren't "posts" generated by the Blogger database, we must resort to kludgy workarounds like the Cartel's memory hole pages (pretty clever as workarounds go... just set up another blog for themed archives) and my prehistory meta posts. Someday I'll get around to setting up hosting space so I can do this sort of stuff with less kludging. And so I can post my fantabulous crossword puzzles. First things first, though.

Ending minirant now. Blogger's free and, despite limited functionality, pretty easy. WG could never have tricked me into starting my blog if I'd poked around in the Cartel "dashboard" and discovered that Blogger is a major pain in the ass. So I thank them for making it possible, even if it is sorta lame.
Dean said…
k/o

Thanks for the current clicks. Much love!

Dean
kid oakland said…
Right back at all of you. Thanks, Dean.

Popular posts from this blog

a serious moment

James Watson: racism alive and well in the USA

Sharks, Carp and Dolphins: applying a model from business to politics