a walk in the woods

I took a long walk in the woods today with a friend.

After yesterday's march in the sun, surrounded by thousands of people, it was great to just stroll on the other side of the East Bay Hills, in the shade of huge hillside trees.

There's a quiet creek that runs off the inside of Big Round Top. I've never hiked all the way back to it's source. There's no trail. Sometimes if I am hiking alone early in the morning or before sunset, I can hear the mule deer crunching in the brush away from me.

There are places like this here near our city. Spots like the one on the French Trail in Redwood Park where you can stand alone, as the sun falls and watch rays of sunlight make their way through the silence of a hundred redwoods.

If you've never been in a redwood forest, that's something they never tell you....they are quiet, and remarkably still. The canopy and wind...are so high up...and the underbrush is so sparse....that it's really you, and rocks, and soil, and trees.

And maybe the sound of a stream running down the heart of the valley.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was waiting for more of your story. I could have gone on reading about your adventure for at least another hour. You are the best storyteller around. Besides lacking Heros these days...we are really lacking storytellers and only the best base their stories on life experience, stories others have passed along and the truth. You Rock Paul. Your photos aren't bad either.
Nice story, K/O. Makes me want to take a walk.
I hadn't realized you'd started blogging on your own until today.
I liked reading you at DKos. Will return.

Popular posts from this blog

a serious moment

James Watson: racism alive and well in the USA

Sharks, Carp and Dolphins: applying a model from business to politics