.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

 k / o
                                       politics + culture

Thursday, October 06, 2005

fiona apple: making mistakes

Sasha Frere-Jones hid this little interview away on his pretty amazing blog:

"SFJ: If you could say to somebody why you aren’t happy with the “Criminal” video, if you were talking to a kid, what would you say to them? What makes you unhappy about it?

FA: The problem that I have with it is not even that I think it’s an offensive video; it’s that I know how I felt at the time, and I know that I caved in to what people wanted me to do. I thought that they weren’t going to like me if I didn’t. Nothing that you do will ever feel good if you let people convince you that you have no choice. When I think of the video, I just think of me being weak and I don’t like that. I think that [director] Mark Romanek’s whole approach was that it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. That’s a really convenient thing to say when you want the girl in her underwear. But it doesn’t come off that way, because I was miserable. I was thinking about this: Why do I have this reputation for being so sullen and sad? I was thinking about when I started doing photo shoots again. I was so miserable in all the photo shoots that when everybody was taking a picture of me, I was miserable.

SFJ: You looked pretty miserable in the video.

FA: I was miserable. That’s why it doesn’t come off as tongue-in-cheek. But do I have any advice? No, I really don’t want to give any advice to a nineteen-year-old, because I want a nineteen-year-old to make mistakes and to learn from them. Make mistakes, make mistakes, make mistakes, make mistakes, make mistakesjust make sure that they’re your mistakes. Because they just feel a lot less crappy, and they’re just easier to get past."


You can read Sasha's review of Ms. Apple's new album in the New Yorker: here.

2 Comments:

  • I haven't heard the new album or the leaked one...and actually I've been listening to some music a reader sent me...which I'll write about later.

    But I got introduced to Fiona Apple, who, I know is not to everyone's taste...but who is just fine with me...in what had to be the perfect way. It was this David Byrne-hosted PBS thing....like "Live from 54th Street" and I had no idea who she was...

    and, damn, she was just more than intense, just commanded the stage. I went around for a day or two afterwords asking people...do you know who this Fiona Apple is?

    Of course, I didn't have MTV. They were like....you mean the "girl running around stepping on guys in her underwear?"

    Ah.

    (Back in the day we listened to Kate Bush...lol.)

    By Blogger kid oakland, at 11:16 PM  

  • Awesome: "Nothing that you do will ever feel good if you let people convince you that you have no choice."

    By Anonymous DirtyD, at 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home