the meaning of Fitzmas

By Wendell Gee, or as you know him, wg:

I think I may be experiencing, Linus-like, the deeper meaning of Fitzmas. Watching and listening to Fitz, I rediscovered something I haven't felt in a long, long time: a kind of simple, optimistic pride in the potential and promise of America. I know that sounds fatuous, but it felt like, after crawling through the desert, I was finally rewarded with a tall, clear glass of ice-cold life-sustaining water. I took such profound and unexpected pleasure in the trust I felt in this guy. And I even found a perverse satisfaction in the way he frustrated my shallow partisan craving for a brutal rhetorical smackdown. When was the last time you had the experience of seeing somebody on tv, in a political context, that you didn't feel compelled to view through an angry ideological prism? It was such a relief to not be an analyzing and enraged critic, or even a chortling schadenfreudian. I just had a very simple, almost childlike, faith in this guy. He'll follow the evidence where it leads and no further, but he's not afraid of anybody, especially these smug thugs. He seemed like a walking, human rebuke to the insane political atmosphere of the last decade. I know this all sounds ridiculous and naive, but perhaps that only suggests how deeply I was craving, without even really being aware of it, somebody to believe in again. I believe in fairness, and justice, and equality, and civility. And I saw that today in Patrick Fitzgerald. And maybe that, Charlie Brown, is the true meaning of Fitzmas.


If that doesn't warm your heart tonight, then you've been spending too much time looking at pictures of Karl Rove.

{Permafitzmas}

Comments

RHerman said…
WG, nice to know someone else got that very same feeling from Fitzpatrick. Really, it just radiated out of the screen. I'll go where he leads us, because I know it'll be the right place.
Anonymous said…
"Bush appointee Fitzpatrick, gives Bush a pass. Libby fall guy. No. 1 criminal, Bush, still on the loose. American system fails again."
NYBri said…
wg:

Check this out:

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2005/10/28/23842/839

accept some love.

(PS. I posted this, kid, before I knew you put it up...or I would have just linked it).
Anonymous said…
wow....that really made me feel better...i hope it lasts.

i cant help thinking christmas gives way to easter and the brutal crucifiction.

Popular posts from this blog

a serious moment

James Watson: racism alive and well in the USA

Sharks, Carp and Dolphins: applying a model from business to politics