a new generation

It's so easy to get focused on the latest news story of the most recent battle or the latest defeat....so, I took a couple days off to think about the bigger picture.

I think the big picture is positive. Simply put, this is the best and most exciting time to get involved in politics in the last 25 years. This is a moment, unlike so much of the last two decades, where I think we stand a very good chance of building something new in this country...and a "new generation"...whatever our ages, ideologies or backgrounds...stands a very good chance of making real, lasting change.

When I pull back and take in the broader view and incorporate what I've seen happening on the grassroots and in the netroots...I am VERY POSITIVE. While everything we've been doing in the last 5 years seems to have amounted to very small success at this point. I don't think it will amount to "little" in the decade to come either in terms of electoral success or democratic participation.

This is a moment to get involved. For those of us who are veterans of the last 25 years, it is very hard to put aside the scars and thought patterns of the last two decades. But we've got to do just that.

I am absolutely convinced that a huge shift in politics is about to happen. All of us have a part to play.

In fact, that is the point.

Comments

katiebird said…
Yes, I'm thinking that too.

And when I talked to Howard Dean a couple weeks ago, he clearly agreed. Our specific conversation was about how realistic it is that Democrats would pass universal health care legislation if they take the House and Senate. And he said that it would happen. That it would pass and be presented to the president.

I also asked a local congressman and he said that 95% of his Democratic collegues are committed to it.

It was clear that they both agreed, big changes are coming.
&y said…
Kid --

Did you see this Letter to the American Left by Bernard-Henri Lévy in The Nation? I have some thoughts, but I'm curious to hear your take on it. If you have time and all.

Popular posts from this blog

a serious moment

James Watson: racism alive and well in the USA

Sharks, Carp and Dolphins: applying a model from business to politics