Post Super Tuesday thoughts

I spent the final five days in a sprint working out of Obama Headquarters in Oakland and blogging on Dailykos.

The last two days, Monday and Tuesday, I worked as a precinct walker for Barack in West Oakland. I was responsible for door knocking, calling, lit drops and making sure that as many people as I could contact from my list of 77 got out and voted for Senator Obama.

Final tally: 45 votes for Barack Obama voted at the polls 2 for Clinton 3 Would not say on principle and 27 I never managed to contact. Not too shabby, eh?

At any rate, I was also featured doing GOTV at West Oakland BART station on MTV Street: scroll using the button on the right till you see the preview with the guy with red vest...me.

Now walking the streets at 5:30AM leaving door hangers is not anyone's idea of fun but the experience was unforgettable. I would like to salute here, every last one of the people I contacted however they voted and the community of West Oakland for showing such strong spirit and unity on primary day.

The neighborhood surrounding West Oakland BART station is one that most Bay Area riders have seen from the window of the train, but few have visited. I spent two days walking those streets and meeting so many residents of this community. I caught a glimpse of lives marked by hard work, a dangerous locale and quite frankly, a powerful pride. I can only offer my respect for the spirit of that precinct and the voters young and old, who got out the vote for Barack Obama.

Now, regarding our loss in California. That is real. We lost. I can only offer respect for the Clinton campaign, especially for their results in Santa Clara, San Mateo and San Joaquin counties. I am energized by the surge in youthful Latino voter participation even if it didn't go our way.

However, all the votes have not been counted, including, I know, many from people I contacted in West Oakland who walked their absentee ballots to the polls. I will write more about what's next for Senator Obama and my analysis of the vote on Super Tuesday.

Comments

janinsanfran said…
You want to know how wacky I am? I LOVE doorhanging before dawn on Election morning. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

a serious moment

James Watson: racism alive and well in the USA

Sharks, Carp and Dolphins: applying a model from business to politics