Ned Landin - Flathead "Ordinary Man"




I like Ned and his music. I knew him as Flathead from when he played outside Coffman Memorial Union at the University of Minnesota back in 1986-7.

Then, almost by coincidence, I saw him perform Astor Place in NYC a few years later and Harvard Square a few years after that, only to catch up with him one night in the 90's in Santa Monica, where the above clip, I think, is from.

Ned's music, in particular his guitar playing and thoughtful singing, owes a ton to Cat Stevens and Ritchie Havens, but for countless students, more of whom who should see this video and check out his website...it's that we owe Ned for his music and for being a voice of our student years.

I got a chance to hang out with Ned over lo mein in Chinatown NYC after he opened for Michelle Shocked one night. He was a nice, quiet guy.

I know I said it already in person, but Thank you, Flathead.

Link to Flatworld.net

Comments

Anonymous said…
I spent many a night under Ned's spell. His beautiful music haunted me. I loved his little dog Potato, and it broke my heart when he moved to California.

Just recently I heard a song by Joshua James that I would have sworn was Ned.

I wish I could see Ned again to thank him for all the wonderful music he has given us over the years.

Popular posts from this blog

a serious moment

James Watson: racism alive and well in the USA

Sharks, Carp and Dolphins: applying a model from business to politics